History & Education
Brief History of Kochi University of Technology
- First Stage (FY1997 – FY2002)
Kochi University of Technology was founded as an engineering university of public establishment with private management in FY 1997. The University endeavored to focus on consolidating the educational environment.
- Second Stage (FY2003 – FY2008)
In order to shift our priority to consolidating the research environment and improving research, KUT is striving to promote research by recruiting talented people in the fields of social management systems research and education.
Our Current Education Policy of Social Management Systems
- The Graduate School’s Entrepreneur Engineering Course for mid-career individuals (Master’s and Doctoral Degree Program since FY1999)
The course enables mid-career individuals to acquire a Master’s degree without becoming full-time students through lecture by a closed-circuit TV system between Kochi, Tokyo and Osaka on the weekends
- International Consulting Engineering Course (All lectures are given in English. Doctoral Degree Program since 2003)
KUT provides Doctoral Degree Program students with intensive lectures and promotes research efficiently.
- Executive management, risk management and administration management course for administrators, corporate executives and leaders who are engaged in the construction and management of social capital.
The course invites former executives of industry, academia and government to give lectures aiming to train the future managers of social capital, and also studies construction management, administration management, etc.
KUT’s Research and Educational Program
- Providing new space for research
Research Building C (6,200 square meters) was newly built in March 2004. We offer the space for excellent research projects for limited periods of time.
- Providing human resources – increasing the number of teaching staff from 100 to 150 (at the moment 132)
We employ a teaching staff who concentrate on education, with the aim of giving gifted researchers more time for research. Also, KUT has a prompt hiring system of teaching and research staff.
- Providing funds – increasing research and education funds from 1.2 billion yen to 2 billion yen (at the moment 1.6 billion yen)
The president and the course head can give research funds to superior projects based on their own judgment.
- Increasing the number of post-doctoral students from 70 to 180 (at the moment 125)
Assigning international students (from 10 countries) and mid-career individuals to superior research projects (60 research assistants will be exempt from tuition and get 1,200,000 yen yearly in the form of scholarships.)